June 24, 2015
- Chris tries to show off, saying he learned Spanish from watching, Home Alone in Mexico.
- Jen wonders what the difference between European French and Quebec French is? Jacob, who is in the chatroom, chimes in to share his experience in Quebec.
- Jen grew up in Puerto Rico which reminds Chris of a recent Last Week Tonight video on voting rights in U.S. Territories.
- The Insular Cases are the awkward Supreme Court documents that surmise people in territories under the control of America do not receive all the rights guaranteed in the constitution.
- Paul is reminded of the videos by CPG Grey, American Empire and The Difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England Explained.
- Paul explores Jen’s GitHub page and we talk Python.
- Jen is interested in the way Tent and the Indie Web movement are working. She hopes to build a personal site that interacts with other networks, but all her data is in one central place.
- One project Jen is working on is a file browser for the nifty, dropbox-like Syncthing.
- Remembering PaintShop Pro and 3D Studio Max, which are still made!
- Jen tells us that you can still get The Print Shop! That’s more exciting than baseball.
- Jeena’s site is a great example of indieweb ideas in the real world. He explains it in a blog post, IndieWeb Join us!
- Known is a service using the indieweb principles. Without having programing knowledge you can jump right in and begin publishing your own site.
- Jen is not a tremendous TV show junky but she does appreciate watching shows as a social activity. She watches The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and of course Archer with groups of friends.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this episode with Jen Montes. It’s fairly obvious that we had a good time. Up next, a topical show on privacy.