August 26, 2017
The second half of our conversation with German Villages of the Modern Manhood podcast and web site. We continue our conversation about masculinity, sports, stigmas around therapy, Super Mario World, and TRUCKS!
- Men Edmonton is a grass root group talking about violence against women, feminism and masculinity.
- One of German’s earliest interviews was with one of the founders of Men Edmonton, Ryan Valley.
- Some really amazing films mentioned by German, Miss Representation and The Mask You Live In. Please find them on Netflix, or wherever, and watch.
- Men Edmonton sponsored an event in April of 2017 where they screened The Mask You Live In and held a panel afterwards. German recorded the session for the Modern Manhood podcast.
- Michael Kimmel studies gender and is featured in the documentaries mentioned above.
- The Precarious Manhood Theory revolves around fear. If a man’s masculinity is challenged, he’s more likely to engage in aggressive or stereotypical male behaviors.
- Hockey is a “man’s game,” says Patrick Maroon.
- Retired goalie Corey Hirsch shares his mental health struggle with the world.
- Foul play prevented German from completing all the levels in Super Mario World.
- We love the Portlandia Battlestar Galactica episode because it highlights the dangers of binge watching.
- Paul’s crew at work is all about comparing hours in Breath of the Wild.
- German mentions how men and women tend to posture in a community of their peers. He doesn’t recommend The Game, but he said there’s a chapter on peacocking.
- How is NHL ‘94 on the Sega so beloved by all? A mystery to be solved in a future documentary.
- German’s other podcast is all about hockey, Your Team Sucks.
- Rasheed Wallace is crazy and we loved it.
- German loves, LOVES, soccer as well. He’s an Arsenal fan, but his heart is with his Chilean National team.
- Inspired by Men Edmonton, German hopes to build a community for men to share their stories on his podcast, Modern Manhood.
- The Ferdinand was another website that German had started for people to share their stories about masculinity. He’s in the process of moving it to Modern Manhood.
- The site was called The Ferdinand because it was based on The Story of Ferdinand. The story was turned into an Oscar winning short by Walt Disney.
- German is delighted that women are listening to his show as well. He was a guest on What it is with Andrea Beça of That’s So Maven! who listens and encourages others to listen to his show.
- The event at The Metro Cinema German spoke of on the show, which played the documentary The Mask You Live, In is long past but he recorded a podcast of the experience.
- Help German continue to enrich the lives of us all by giving to his Patreon. Find German’s Modern Manhood show on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
Lots of wonderful things have happened since our chat with German Villages. The Modern Manhood podcast has joined GRadio.ca and the Alberta Podcast Network. German is an incredible human and his show is inspiring and absolutely needed in today’s world. Don’t hesitate to reach out to him, he’s just that kind of person. And, please remember to take care of yourselves.